Kids always want something special for their weekend. Today, they order chicken for lunch, so I go to Grant’s food2 mart in Mississauga to grab some chicken for them.
Let’s see what I found in the market
Chicken feet: are part of chicken.
Cooking methods: We can make a delicious soup with stock from chicken feet.
The reason: Most of the edible tissue on the feet consists of skin and tendons with no muscle. Chicken feet are very gelatinous.
Chicken thighs: is the portion of the leg cut above the joint of the knee. Typically available bone-in with skin or boneless and skinless
Cooking methods: baked, grilled,roasted, breadcrumbed chunks.
The reason: it doesn’t have a higher fat content, and dark meat doesn’t dry out easily.
Chicken wing: is an all-white meat portion of the chicken with three sections: wingtip, wing and drumette.
Cooking methods: grilled, baked, deep fried.
The reason: it contains lower fat so it is more pronto drying out.
Chicken drum stick: the digital portion of the leg which is separate from the thigh by a straight cut through the knee.
Cooking method: baked, deep fried, grilled, roasted.
The reason: it’s a dark meat and faster alternative to cook.
Chicken breast:is separated from the wing by cutting through the shoulder joint, from the neck, the back and the hind quarter. The breast includes the “Y” shaped ends of the ribs and exclude the neck skin
Cooking method: roasting
The reason: it turns out dry.
Chicken liver: has numerous functions in digestion and absorption of foods.
Cooking method: sauté with chopped onions
The reason: it cooks fast and easy.
Chicken Gizzard: is the mechanical stomach of a bird.
Cooking method: fry
The reason: very fast to cook.
Chicken heart: is the muscular organ that pumps blood through the body of the bird.
Cooking method: stir fried with vegetables.
The reason: cook fast.
- 1 kg chicken (bone-in, skin-on thigh & drumstick chopped into bite site pieces)
- 1 piece ginger ( double thumb size) julienne
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 cups water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, ginger, garlic, shallot, salt, sugar, chicken stock, fish sauce and pepper. Mix well and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil and sprinkle 2 tbsp. sugar over the base. Melt the sugar under medium heat until it turns dark amber. Quickly add the marinated chicken and stir-fry on high heat about 5 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink
- Add water, bring to a boil and skim off the foam and some of the floating fat. Lower heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce reduce by one third.
- Served with hot steam rice.
Hope everyone enjoy your meal.